As you might have read in the blog of Phili last month, your surroundings have an impact on your health too. Sustainability is on this year’s agenda too, since we all live on this beautiful planet, that carries, feeds and nurtures us.
I want to start with bringing baking soda to your attention, because it fits perfectly in the sustainability thread since it’s 100% natural, it’s multifunctional, it’s environmentally friendly, it’s gentle for your body, good for your wallet and it safes space! So, enough reasons, I reckon.
What is baking soda?
Baking soda is a mineral substance naturally occuring in rocks. It is a mineral salt compound that is 100% natural and has purifying properties.
What does baking soda do?
It degreases, dries and absorbs odors.
What can you do with baking soda?
In your household
- It can replace yeast or baking powder
- It has many cooking applications
- It degreases
- It removes the odors from your fridge
- You can use it in the washing machine. Your laundry will be cleaner and the washing machine will be descaled. It also prevents odors.
- You can use it in the dishwasher. See the previous point.
- You can use baking soda in combination with natural vinegar to clean the toilet
- It keeps cut flowers beautiful for longer
- It makes silver jewelry shine again
- It removes stains from clothing, carpets and mattresses.
- You can use baking soda as a deodorant. It absorbs moisture and has cleansing qualities.
- You can make your own toothpaste. Mix a bit of baking soda with coconut oil and a drop of essential peppermint oil.
- You can also use baking powder as a face and body scrub. Just mix the baking powder with a bit of water, so that it becomes a paste and you are ready for a good scrub.
- You can use baking soda instead of shampoo. This way you don’t have to use those plastic bottles #lesswaste.
- It soothes sunburned skin and insect bites.
- It facilitates the removal of splinters.
- Baking soda keeps the PH value in your body balanced.
- You can gurgle with baking soda when you have a sore throat.
- You can dissolve baking soda in water, sniff it, to keep the nasal cavities clean.
- You can use some baking soda dissolved in water if you feel bloated.
So, baking soda is multifunctional and it sure saves a lot of plastic bottles! #lesswaste Maybe you want to complete this list further in the comment section?